July 6, 2008

Fun, Food, Family and Fireworks on the Fourth!

This year on the 4th, Todd's parents came and joined us for the Muleshoe festivities. The Chamber puts on a parade and this year we got to participate in the parade. Earlier this year Todd was named Man of the year. The family rode in a beautiful new pickup from our local Ford house. Todd's dad drove and his mom rode in the front as well. The kids threw candy and had a blast. It was a neat experience for the kids.





That evening we cooked a wonderful meal. Grandparents are good people to try new recipes on! We had ribs, potatoes, corn (on the grill), Jalapeno poppers, baked beans and rolls. The desserts were amazing as well! Todd loves to cook outside using his dutch oven's. This year he prepared Peach Cobbler and these amazing apples wrapped in pie crust. I have to share the pictures of those, because they were just as pretty as they were good! And I made homemade ice cream for the first time ever. I do not think any of us will eat for a few days!
Here is Todd preparing the desserts! I was in the back ground making the Jalapeno poppers, coughing, choking and hacking the entire time! Those suckers were HOT!!!


Here is the apple's before they were cooked. Inside the cored and pealed apples was brown sugar, Cinnamon and butter then wrapped in pie crust! YUM!
This is the before picture of the Peach cobbler. It is a can of peaches with its juice (not pie filling) with a box of yellow cake mix sprinkled on top, then topped with pats of butter!
This is what they looked like while they were cooking! I am so glad Todd's mom took pictures!
And one hour later we have:


IT WAS SO YUMMY, esp with my homemade ice cream on top!!!!

While we were cooking, Addyson had Grandear babysitting Jennifer so she could play. I am sure in this picture she is giving him all the instructions on how exactly to take care of her baby!
And here is the final picture of the peach cobbler! OF the 14 pounds I had previously lost, I really do not want to get on the scale at all this week!
We ended the evening playing a new card game called Sequence. The kids loved it! And watching fireworks. We all slept until 9:30 or 10:00 including Nana!!

3 comments:

Tamora said...

You know... he is going to have to make those deserts for us one day! YUM!

Jenn said...

Spending my afternoon playing catch up on my blog reading. What a fun 4th you guys had!

Can you believe my boys have never been to a parade? A fact that makes me so sad. Big Cities have let go of such a neat tradition! How fun that your kids got to participate in the candy throwing.

Jalepeno poppers and peach cobbler - yum! I would love to have both of your recipes. I have never made peach cobbler with a cake mix.

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

I LOVE Sequence! Great game. I miss those fun Muleshoe FOJs. The last one we were there for we watched the parade with you guys. Too fun that you were IN it this year!